London Overground Impact
Since February 2019, we have been supported by London Overground in the hope of making a difference for those individuals asking commuters for money on the trains and stations.
Some commuters have chosen to donate money to the charity, some chose to donate food, clothing, and their time. And a huge number of people chose to advise individuals asking for money to visit the centre just outside the Whitechapel Station.
If you see somebody who is homeless or asking for money, we ask that you send them to our centre in Whitechapel. Nobody should have to ask for money on the streets, but we cannot attempt to fix the problem if they do not visit the centre and engage with the advice workers. The free meals and free services are just a magnet to get people through the door. We are here to fix problems, not perpetuate them.
- 7% increase in people visiting the centre in Whitechapel. An additional 21 people a day.
- 20% increase in people asking for advice and counseling.
- 18% increase is requests for referrals to drug and alcohol programs.
- 15% increase in people found a bed for the night.
- 50% increase individual requests to volunteer. We would need 700 days in a year, to be able to say yes to everybody.
- 30% increase in requests from companies to get involved in our work.
- 60% increase in gifts-in-kind. Enough winter clothing donated to ensure everybody can regularly change their clothing.
- An increase in financial donations. Enough to employ another member of the staff in the daycentre, and ensure everybody can access free food and free services.
- 200% increase in people looking for food.
- 150% increase in people looking for advice and counseling.
- 27% increase is requests for referrals to drug and alcohol programs.
- 21% increase in people found a bed for the night.
We wish to offer our sincere thanks to London Overground and their passengers for a very generous response. We also wish to thank London Overground staff for the multiple volunteering days donated, serving meals and sorting clothing and supporting those asking for assistance.
Copyright 2021. All Rights Reserved - Site designed and maintained by Whitechapel Mission staff