The Whitechapel Mission is called to serve the men and women caught in the cycles of poverty, hopelessness and dependencies of many kinds, and to see their lives transformed to hope, joy, lasting productivity.
Volunteers are encouraged to maintain a high standard of integrity and professionalism when relating with our guests. (Guests are defined as any person who benefits from any service of The Whitechapel Mission as a participant in any of our programmes.)
- Volunteers are not to spend time alone with any guest. Volunteers should always be in the sight of others.
- Volunteers are not to initiate or allow anyone to have physical contact with guests without staff advisement and the permission of the guest.
- Volunteers are asked not to share personal contact details such as home address or phone number with guests.
- All personal information about guests is strictly confidential except when a guest shares information about matters with legal consequences such as someone being in danger or endangering others. In this case, volunteers must report the information to the staff person in charge.
Individual Volunteer Information
- We are unable to accept volunteering requests from individual just yet
- Our programs are violence-free and drug-free environments. Volunteers are not to smoke, drink, use drugs or carry any type of weapons on site.
- Volunteers are to engage in gracious and edifying conversation. Volunteers do not swear.
- Harassment of any kind is not permitted and will be subject to disciplinary action by The Whitechapel Mission.
- The Whitechapel Mission are not responsible for the personal property of volunteers. We provide lockers and encourage you to use them.
- Volunteers are not to engage in a private transaction involving gifts, services or money with any guests. Any gifts should be directed to or channeled through the organization. Volunteers may not accept money or gifts from guests for services rendered.
- Volunteers must wear clothing that is deemed modest. Do not wear revealing or tight-fitting clothes.
- Closed-toe shoes must be worn in the kitchen for safety reasons.
- Clothing worn by volunteers must not portray alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, sexual or violent themes.
- Volunteers are not authorized to use the Whitechapel Mission phones, stationery, supplies and equipment for purposes not specifically related to the volunteer opportunity.
- Volunteers are not authorized to identify themselves with the Whitechapel Mission, or attempt to use their position to gain credibility for political purposes or illicit personal gain.
Photographic Image and Description Release
- We will normally take photographs of volunteers at work and make these available for download through a secure server, restricting the viewing to only those people who were photographed and members of their organization.
- We may ask your permission for The Whitechapel Mission to use any photographic images which may be taken by us, and used with or without accompanying, descriptive narrative. These images may be used in promotional materials including, but not limited to, letters, brochures, newsletters and video clips.
- Photographic images will NOT be used without your permission.
Copyright 2022. All Rights Reserved - Site designed and maintained by Whitechapel Mission staff